[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

PGP and WWW (was "Securing information transports")

It's true that PGP/PEM hooks for NCSA XMosaic, httpd were added some
time ago.  I think it was basically a "proof of concept" implementation
which had some major problems, making it not quite ready for prime-time.
Foremost, it required passphrases in the clear (!!) to be stored in
support scripts, and the public keys had to be exchanged out of band.

We're working on revising the PGP support for web browsers and servers,
addressing the aforementioned deficiencies and hopefully bringing it to
a usable state.  The current, experimental approach involves using a
CCI app (Common Client Interface application) front end to PGP which
communicates with the browser and handles PGP-related user interface tasks.
This alleviates the need for crypto-specific hooks in the browser, and makes
it easier to use with any browser sporting a compatible, general-purpose
interface like CCI.  Naturally, there are numerous pro's and con's associated
with this scheme.

A paper describing the new PGP-CCI design will be presented at the WWW-4
conference.  We'll provide more information as the project develops.
For now, anyone interested in the details of how the PGP-CCI system works
should email me.

	Adam
	acain@ncsa.uiuc.edu